Pages

2013-10-12

My thoughts on education and its state of disarray

By Paul Yumbla.
(photo from the Precious Knowledge Film website)

At the Latin American Studies center at the University of Connecticut where the movie “Precious Knowledge” was screened earlier this week, I had the opportunity to connect with Latino students, as well as getting the chance to meet with Teach for America. This film shed light onto the racial tensions surrounding the Tucson community before, during, and after the removal of Ethnic/Raza studies in public high schools. This helped put unfortunate situations such as this Arizona controversy into perspective. There are teachers that are trying to operate under a regime that serves the very few and often from a very specific zip code.

I recommend this film for anyone interested in hearing the voice of those criticized for attempting to see where they fit in. As a future teacher, this strikes a chord with me. It drives forward my ambition to make social change in any way. I am a teacher.  I would love to be able to teach.  Just teach. Not document every sentence, jump through a different hoop every year, justify my existence, or give endless standardized tests.
I want to be able to teach, encourage and inspire. To help each child discover his/her own strengths. To challenge children's minds and help them develop essential skills. To create thinkers. I would love to be able to teach. I bring experience from my early age to any conversation, debate, and discussion revolving around education. 

1 comment:

  1. Dear Paul, that's is what we need, the world need. People empowering people to help build a better world to all. The best for you!

    ReplyDelete